Wednesday 2 May 2012

Poor language used on my leaflet

I have a letter in the paper on Thursday modifying the comments on my leaflet and apologising if the language I used misled anyone.  I said I had acted on various "tip-offs" from the public about OIC staff appearing to behave badly or inappropriately and then I gave 3 examples.
This has concerned some staff, and with hindsight I can see why as it may give the impression that there were serious or widespread problems in these areas.
So my letter clarifies that these were 3 separate incidents that were reported to me by members of the public.  When I investigated them with senior staff, of the 3, only 1 staff member was at fault and this person had already been dealt with by management.  I was content that these were isolated incidents and I go on to say that I think the OIC staff do a good job and that I value them greatly.  After all, the quality services we have in the county are all delivered by our OIC staff.

The reason for me to make the statement in the flier was to show that I don't shy away from difficult issues and I will act on public queries.  If I get elected again I will continue to do that, but I will just be more careful with the way I say things in future.

I hope that explains things better than what I had in the leaflet.

No comments: