Wednesday 11 April 2012

A list of some of the KWaO ward issues I have been involved in over the past 5 years

I passed on to officials several public worries about speeding in the Quoybanks area (I never expected it to turn into the major project that it did - and the major headache for the residents and council alike). I fought and failed to stop the width restriction for vehicles in St Catherines Place. Mr Brogan raised the issue of the Oil Tanks. I fought to get the OIC to stop sitting on redundant properties and start selling surplus properties (it has now sold dozens of redundant properties and raised over £1.3m). S Heddle and I fought to keep the new KGS on the KGS site and not have it migrate to the Picky Centre. There was a storm over public drinking and a new bylaw. Kirkwall Town Centre Retailers took out a 20 point action plan to help improve the town centre and I was keen to back it. There was a lot of concern over Tesco coming and the impact it would have on the Town Centre. I helped the Orphir Community Council resurrect the Clowally Viewpoint project. I was keen to see OIC treat Direct Payments properly as part of the service budgets. The review of the Planning Policies. Helping staff and the Parent Council chase up improvements in the Orphir School heating system. Contributing regular columns to the Orphir Community Council parish newsletter. While I was sad to see people lose their jobs, I was in favour of the restructuring of the tugs in response to the downturn in work. I worked with tenants and shared owners to pressurise OHAL to do more to help people living in their faulty new houses in the Wellington Street developments. After a public outcry I worked with residents in the Quoybanks / Warrenfield area to challenge the new traffic calming bollards and layouts constructed in the area. I worked with the new owners and the planners to secure a public footpath through the Wideford Reservoir development. I have engaged in the ongoing debate and consultation over speed limit alterations on the Orphir Road and the Old Finstown Road ( I am in favour of lower speed limits). I have been constantly on the case of officials regarding the works done to improve the operation of the Peedie Sea and the flood protection sstems for Kirkwall. Lots has been done around the Peedie Sea and lots has still to be done. I was also very active in achieving funding for a new sea defence along the harbour front, following research that shows we are in danger of having a big flood from the sea too. I was successful in redirecting funding to get improved paths at the Peedie Sea and latterly to help with tree planting in the area.

No comments: