Monday 23 April 2007

Been out delivering leaflets at the weekend

I have been walking the streets of Kirkwall at the weekend, delivering leaflets. It has been good to get out and meet folk.
Issues that have come up so far are 1) affordable housing; 2) wind generators; 3) antisocial behaviour; 4) the voluntary sector; 5) young people; 6) KGS

Where I stand on these things - 1) OIC needs to work harder to alleviate the problems of young people getting accommodation - by making more land available for self builds, and by building more lettable property, or freeinng up land for Orkney Housing Association to build more lettable property.
2) I am for wind generators so long as there is a significant financial benefit to the community - not just a token.
3) I think more needs to be done to deal with antisocial behaviour and I include drunken behaviour in that too.
4) I work in the voluntary sector, or as I like to refer to it as the charitable sector. A lot of really essential services come from these group of organisations, and I think we need to look at better supporting the sector. I will campaign for a stronger group and a stronger voice for charities in Orkney.
5) young people get a bad press, but the majority of young people I meet in clubs and in shops and anywhere are decent, polite and interesting people. Although I dont feel young, I am sadly, probably the youngest candidate - and if I get in I will work to help young people and young adults.
6) Ive already said KGS should stay on the current sight, I am yet to decide if it needs refurbishment or rebuilt, but there is more than enough space on the current site - and the community there are accustomed with it, and the roads system works well with it there, and there is a high density of people living all around it.
I am, in fact, keen on Steven Heddles idea to transform it into a Community School, where there are community rooms and halls available for the folk in the area. I know the pool and fitness areas are already available, but I would like to see more - say a snooker and pool room, meeting rooms, and a coffee / tuck shop associated with the reception. This would go down well with all the folk that live in that area.

No comments: