Sunday 15 April 2007

A true representative.

While some electors want to see broad policies and topical issues that candidates will stand for (and I will list some on this site), most actually want to elect someone who will be available on the end of a phone and who will turn up, show interest and willing, try to be even handed and fair, and will actually do something about particular issues or problems that affect them (pavements, salt bins, social work, planning problems, etc).

I think the people that know me will testify to the fact that if elected I will do that, I do listen and try to get to the bottom of things, and I am willing and able to chase matters up with officials in the OIC or other outside bodies (like Scottish Water or SEPA etc).

Added to that I was one of only a very few councillors who regularly advertised and held public surgeries for people to come as individuals to discuss topical issues of the OIC.
If elected I would regularly advertise and hold surgeries in Kirkwall and Orphir.
If elected I will also be an active participant in community work (like attend Community Council meetings, help Community Groups with play parks or with lobbying on a topical issue - see below for examples of my past involvement with communties).


You do want someone with policies, but you also want someone you know will be willing to meet you, to visit you, discuss your problem and raise it with the relevant department.

I can do both and have proven this in the past.
I hope you will consider this when you decide who to vote for.

No comments: